Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Music Review Numero Uno

I'm thinking of starting my own music reviews. Three categories: hummability- If I don't know the words, how good do I still sound if I just make shit up or hum to the song? Infectiousness- is the album still in my head long after the last note dies out but not so long to the point that I want to kill myself. Youtubeness- how easy is it to find videos from the album, legit or otherwise, on Youtube. Each category is ranked 1-5. Total possible is 15.

Lately I can't stop listening to By The Way by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This album came out sometime around 2002, so I'm archiving here. But from the very first track, this album rocks. I want to get out of my chair and dance around the room, kicking shit over, air guitaring, the whole thing. My favorite tracks are By the Way, Can't Stop, This Is The Place, Dosed, I Could Die For You.

I'm driving around in my 4-door Buick listening to this album cranked and while sitting at a stop light the other day some college kid (car next to me) asked me what I was listening to and said that it rocked. So yea, embarrassing for that kid to ask some old fart like me what music I'm cranking.

So on the Hummability, about a 4. There's a few songs where the pitch changes unexpectedly and I immediately sound like Britney Spears lip-synching at the MTV Music Awards. Infectiousness- total 5. I hear some of these songs in my sleep. Anthony Kiedis's talent is just amazing. He can go from funk to ballad to rock and never miss a beat. Youtubeness- I can find almost every song represented. Kudos to the copyright infringers out there. The legit videos are great because the band has a sense of humor and appear to just fuck off for the camera. The By The Way video is especially sweet. 5

Way to go RHCP, 14 points. Another worthless rating system from someone that has no influence on the music industry.

2 comments:

Noah said...

I was in high school, I think, or maybe early college when Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out. Loved the band then, and have never looked back. RHCP is an all-time great and powerhouse of funk-rock.

Christian said...

I don't know that BSSM convinced me to worship the band, but By The Way, Calofornication, and Stadium Arcadium have truly set the band apart from their peers.