Sunday, August 3, 2008

Favorite Movies

We're almost moved in now and as I passed my bar I noticed a pile of VHS tapes (remember those?) sitting on the bartop. So,... I wondered, 'should I even keep those?' As I skimmed through them I wondered what was worth keeping. If these VHS tapes are simply decent movies, then why keep them? Among the tapes are; The Cowboys, In The Name of The Father, Unforgiven, Kelly's Heroes- good stuff! I can probably get rid of the unwatched copy of Miracle on 34th Street but my spaghetti westerns have to stay put until I get them on DVD. Some movies are just worth keeping even if I don't watch them for a while. For example; Full Metal Jacket, Snatch, all Clint Eastwood's- except for maybe White Hunter, Black Heart and Pink Cadillac.

There are classics and then there are CLASSICS. Apocolypse Now's opening scene with 'The End' by The Doors playing and the napalm strike is just cinematic phenomena. I'll keep that DVD forever.
Cool Hand Luke- awesome. I watch it every time it comes on TV.
Se7en. A perfect combination of lighting, madness, and casting.
Twelve Monkeys. Terry Gilliam is a genius and this movie proves it.

Come to think of it, Brad Pitt is in many of my favorite movies. Man love for Brad Pitt? Huh.

2 comments:

steves said...

all Clint Eastwood's- except for maybe White Hunter, Black Heart and Pink Cadillac.

I would also include The Dead Pool (last Dirty Harry movie), with Jim Carrey as a heavy metal singer and that retarded scene where Harry kills some guy with a harpoon cannon.

Christian said...

I'll add to that- how about Paint Your Wagon with Lee Marvin. Clint has a solo act in that train wreck of a movie singing to the trees.