Friday, August 29, 2008

Guns (and stuff)...

Since this is the blog that I created and my only point to posting is to vent, rant, or cyber-whimper, I think I'm going to sit here on a Friday night and go on about something I care deeply about. Guns. No politics. No 2nd amendment bullshit. Just flowery words that smell like Hoppes No. 9 and thoughts that flow like grain through a funnel.

I have a family member attending an auction tomorrow that's up in the UP and there's a remote possibility that I might add a few guns to my collection. Now, I won't hold my breath because I rarely get treats like that without much work or consternation on my part. I have a few friends that might disagree considering that they were present when I purchased a trunk full of firearms from a distant cousin for much, much less than their combined value. Sun was shining on me that day. Out of that collection I obtained a Remington Mle 1907-15. Look the sucker up. See how rare they are. No serial number. They were made for the French and most never saw action. Jokes about the French aside, many of the rifles never made it to action as the war ended prior to their delivery. And I had the bayonet to go with it. 'Had' as in I sold the bugger to buy my Bushmaster 223. Not much regret there as it was 8mm Lebel and not safe to shoot, though it was in great shape. I'm not a collector insomuch as I'm a shooter. Big difference IMHO.

I also acquired a Colt Lighting that day and regrettably sold it for next to nothing. I weep over that from time to time.

At this auction they're parting with a German Mauser 98 (already have one though it was bored for .308), an Arisaka Type 38, an Eddystone, and a Savage 720 in 16 gauge. They have others but my eyes are on these ones. I don't need another Remington 870 or a dumper like the Woodsmaster 742.

I haven't bought anything since my M1 Carbine and I'm hoping to score tomorrow. I told my 'in' to go as high as $200 each. I know that's low. I'm cheap when it comes to something I don't need. But for $200, if I scored even one of them, say the Savage, whew. I could profit on that one though I doubt I'd sell it. I didn't start off a shotgun fan but I have a few that I have a fondness for. I have two Ithaca 37's and one is a military & police style that's Parkerized and runs a short barrel. It's mean looking. And it's close so if someone read my inventory here and found out where the man lived, yea. Not recommended. '00' at close range can't be pretty and I'm a mean enough MF 'r to do it. Then I'd take some photos prior to the cops showing up and I'd post them online. :)

Any ways- I kind of appreciate the shotgun now and their history. I would very much like to acquire a WWI era Winchester 97 trench shotgun, if anything. Other than that, my knowledge and experience mostly lies with rifles and military rifles at that. Russian, German, US. And in the past handful of years, these other countries dumped their obsolete arsenals on the market and created a huge demand for milsurp rifles. But not the US. They have only lightened their load via the CMP and certainly not all that they have. So either the US government has stock piles of rifles and pistols and shotguns somewhere or they've done and sold them all to other countries for them to shoot it out with their enemies. And since no other country has flooded the market with firearms they purchased from the US (the Danish actually returned M1 Garand's to the Army that they borrowed during WWII instead of pretending like they lost them) then I can only believe that the US govt has them yet or they melted them all down.

And nothing fires me up more than mass firearm destruction. People are so stupid that they'll destroy firearms before selling them to honest and law-abiding citizens that may have an interest in them. Because, yea, you burned up 5,000 guns and now 5,000 criminals are without weapons of choice. If I ever go postal it'll be with a hammer or something everyday-like and I'll stamp every crime scene with a sign that reads 'I could have used a gun, but I chose to go with a circular saw'. Because anything is a weapon. Guns are simply convenient because flesh doesn't jam them up like it does to the circular saw......... not that I know or anything.

7 comments:

Noah said...

could have used a gun, but I chose to go with a circular saw

Best one-liner I've seen on a blog in a long time. Laughed out loud.

Some time ago, I was forced to choose between 2 hobbies: gun collecting/shooting, and brewing beer. I chose beer. I sometimes have pangs of regret. Can I come over to fondle your collection some time? And maybe we can take the more fun guns out for a little spin?

steves said...

Besides purchasing a Sig Sauer P250, I haven't bought much in the last year. I love milsurps, but the problem has always been I am reluctant to shoot something that is old and worth something for fear of damaging it or lessening th value. I have an unfired Lee Enfield No. 4, Mk. 2 that was wrapped in paper and dripping with cosmoline. I just can't shoot it.

What kind of Bushmaster did you get? I will admit to not being much of a fan of the direct impingement gas system. I like a piston. This led me to sell both my AR-15's (a Bushmaster and a Colt) and get a Sig 556 and a FN FS2000.

Christian said...

Smitty, not only can you come over and fondle them, we can take them to the public range and re-qualify. Actually, I might not be allowed back to the public range. The range officer didn't appreciate me low crawling towards the target line during live fire. I couldn't help myself.

Steves- don't be reluctant to pull the trigger on those milsurps. They were made to withstand thousands upon thousands of rounds. And the value only matters if you're going to sell it. Otherwise, the value is in your eyes. IMHO, if it sits in my safe, unfired, it has no value to me. So I shoot them.

After service, most milsurps were wrapped and coated for storage. It doesn't mean they weren't free from being fired- but I'm very certain that you know this.

Bushmaster XM15E2. Closest design to what Uncle Sam gave me, so I'm kinda nostalgic. I love the way it fires. That said- I did see another AR style where every shot was felt and heard in the spring as it retracted in the stock. It was miserable to shoot. Embarrassing. Not a Bushmaster.

Bob said...

I am not a gun-owner, but could see why people would collect guns.

A lot of people would see gun collecting as the hobby of the anti-government, saw Red Dawn once too many times crowd.

Me, I see guns as really cool, simple machines. Works of art in basic metal and other materials. I like machines where you can see all the moving parts, rebuild yourself, polish and care for forever. Its like my love of bicycles, old tools, or someone's love of an old Harley.

They are history, engineering, craftsmanship and art rolled into one.

My Dad has some funky rifle he inhertied from my grandfather. Its got a 4 or 4 shot clip and a barrel with a recoil mechanism built in. I need to I.D. it one day. Maybe I should take a photo of it and send it your way.

steves said...

I know they are very durable and I am pretty careful when it comes to maintainenece. The Enfield is unfired. The numbers match and I still have the tags from the armory. I'll probably pass it on to my daughter and she can decide if she wants to fire it. In the mean time, I have a WWI era Enfield (No. 1, Mk. III) that someone had sporterized. I bought an "authentic" stock and am in the process of returning to the original configuration. I will definately shoot that.

Maybe I should take a photo of it and send it your way.

Please do. I am curious.

Bob said...

"Because anything is a weapon. Guns are simply convenient because flesh doesn't jam them up like it does to the circular saw......... not that I know or anything."

Did you hear about the kid who brought the circular saw to school to kill his clasmates? The stupid ass kept charging kids and getting tripped by the cord.

Fortunately there was a shop teacher carrying a NicCd powered drill, so he took the kid out with a quick drill to the forehead.

Christian said...

I failed to secure any of the firearms at the auction. The few I wanted all went for over $400. Too rich for my blood.

And I certainly don't need another project. I've removed the stock from receiver on 3-4 of my weapons and refinished the wood so I'm getting fairly experienced with that kind of stuff.

Bob- send your photo. If I can't ID it with my knowledge and the arsenal of reference books at my disposal, then I'll be danged.

As for sporterizing,... I do understand why so many veterans came home and chopped up their military weapons to make hunting rifles, but it personally pains me to find a beautiful weapon raped by some butcher. They hacked at the furniture, chopped the barrels, welded fucking scope mounts like a kid melting crayons on the sidewalk. It's a sad sight sometimes.