Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Vinyl- My Other Love

I have a love for vinyl. I admit it. I love crate digging and finding albums at garage sales, music stores, etc. It's a nice high for me. I started my vinyl collection with some outcasts from an in-law. He was set to pitch out some classics like the Beatles White Album, Sticky Fingers by the Stones, Rare Earth, Three Dog Night, Bread. I grabbed every single one and set my love affair in motion.

Now, I have a few loves. I collect and shoot firearms, I buy way too many books for my own good, and I have a lot of tools and small machinery for wood working. I can't be monogamous with all this cool shit around me.

In the last handful of years, vinyl has been making a come back and many new albums are being released on vinyl. I think that's great and all but now all the sellers are cranking their prices up and good albums are disappearing. I don't care much for competing with others when it comes to finding a nice Dylan or Bob Marley LP. Maybe I need some hobby that doesn't attract a lot of people and leaves all the spoils to me. Maybe I can start collecting Beanie Babies and using them for target practice. Big surplus of those stupid little dolls and they're bargain priced! What caliber would work best on a beanie baby? 30-06? .223?

2 comments:

Noah said...

Have you ever been to Flat Black and Circular in downtown East Lansing? Best store for vinyl. The owner, Dave Vernath, is a huge vinyl-phile and his store carries some amazing shit from classics to newer stuff. If he doesn't have it in stock, he can find it for you.

His house has a 15x15 room that is floor-to-ceiling with shelves of vibyl...not counting the stacks of crates.

Christian said...

Been to FBC. Interesting experience I had there selling some vintage Pink Floyds. They actually offered me less than $3.50 each. Unbelievable.

When I visited Portland OR I hit up some vinyl stores that had tens of thousands of LP's. MECCA!